Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Entertainment

R. Kelly Pushes Back Against $10.5 Million Judgment, Says He’s Unaware of Lawsuit


Six women who appeared in the Surviving R. Kelly docuseries were awarded $10.5 million after they successfully sued the disgraced singer and his former manager over a threat that shut down a 2018 screening.

The women made allegations against R. Kelly in the documentary, and the singer and Donnell Russell, his manager at the time, continually attempted to silence them. The first season of the docuseries aired on Lifetime in January 2019, but Kelly and Russell reportedly made various legal threats against the women and the producers of the show ahead of its release.

Someone on Kelly’s team later threatened to “shoot up” a December 2018 screening of the docuseries in New York City, which prompted the event to shut down. Per the judgment, the six women should be awarded between $1.1 million to $2.25 million each.

TMZ is now reporting, R. Kelly is fighting back against the judgement.

He says he didn’t know about the suit and shouldn’t be held accountable.

According to new legal docs, obtained by TMZ, Kelly claims he would have defended himself against the lawsuit if he knew about the darn thing.

The disgraced singer claims his head is already spinning over his various criminal cases and prosecutions … and he’s been sued so many times lately he can hardly keep up with it all from his prison cell in North Carolina.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Kelly also claims he’s also shuffled legal teams since being locked up … and he says this lawsuit must have slipped through the cracks, or not have been delivered to him behind bars at all.

Even if the lawsuit had been received, Kelly says he wouldn’t be able to understand it or distinguish it from any other legal documents … saying he relies on his lawyers to explain things to him because “I cannot read or understand words beyond that of a grade schooler.”

What’s more, Kelly claims Donnell was never his manager as the lawsuit claimed … and he says he had no idea Russell was trying to stop the ‘Surviving’ screening.

Kelly says he didn’t ask Donnell to do so and says if Russell did make a mass shooting threat to stop the screening, “he did that for his own reasons.”

There’s still a question if the women will see a dime of the $10.5 million judgment … but it’s clear Kelly doesn’t think he’s responsible for this one.



Loading

Comments
Advertisement

Facebook

You May Also Like

Entertainment

Sportswire via Getty Images WNBA star Caitlin Clark was injured during Monday night’s game between the Indiana Fever and Connecticut Sun. Clark ran into...

Entertainment

MediaPunch / BACKGRID NYC’s mayor is considering revoking Sean Combs’s key to the city. Mayor Eric Adams says he and a committee voted to...

Entertainment

Ayo seems very annoyed as she nervously fidgets with a water bottle. With the flick of her wrist, she signals for him to stop....

Entertainment

MEGA/WENN A New York artist who painted an official portrait of former President Barack Obama denies sexual assault accusations made by an artist from...

Entertainment

After Cassie filed a $30 million lawsuit in November 2023, a video resurfaced that showed LeBron James saying, “there’s no party like a Diddy...

Entertainment

Patrick McDermott/Getty Images Simone Biles lashed out at social media users who continue to “disrespect” her husband, Jonathan Owens, according to People.com. Jonathan was...

Entertainment

MEGA/WENN Sean Combs is bracing for more damaging video leaks, according to sources. Last week, CNN exclusively obtained a video that showed Combs kicking...

Entertainment

Screengrab Sean Combs apologized and begged for forgiveness in a video posted on his Instagram page on Sunday. Combs acknowledged kicking and stomping his...

Entertainment

“John Legend and Chrissy Teigen just kicked us out of the photo booth after we waited 30 mins to get pics.” Screengrab Chrissy Teigen...

Advertisement

Copyright © 2022 I AM SISSY BROWN

Back